Adoption Services Law Group
Lisa Williams-McCallum.jpg

You Are Ready To Adopt.
We Are Ready To Make It Happen



Why should you hire an attorney to handle your adoption?
Here are just a few reasons:

  • An Unbiased Explanation of Adoption Methods
  • Resources to Help You Develop a Legally Secure Adoption Plan
  • Explanations of Your Rights and the Adoption Laws in your State, or References to an Adoption Attorney Who Practices in Your State or Internationally
  • An Assessment of the Risks Involved, including Determining What Costs Are Legally Permissible
  • Clarification of Your Options for Post-placement Arrangements, If Any, with Birth Parents

If you have made the decision to adopt, and are ready to add your name to our adoptive family list, fill out the questionnaire below. Please be aware that adding your name to our adoptive family list does require a payment of $500. This fee covers our time spent showing your profile, answering questions until the match is made, and is not contingent upon you being matched with a birth mother. This fee is non-refundable. To pay this fee, send a check to the attention of Kirstin Reynolds, to our mailing address.

We understand that adoption can be a major financial commitment. If you are interested in speaking with an adoption finance coach to help you find resources to make adoption more affordable for your family, including a federal tax credit, grants, loans, employer assistance programs, and creative fundraising options, please let us know, we don’t want the costs associated with adoption to create a barrier for your family. 


Learn More About Different Types Of Adoption


Frequently Asked Adoption Questions



Do We Really Need An Adoption Attorney?

Yes, working with knowledgable adoption attorney ensures that your adoption proceeds smoothly. In choosing the attorney that is right for your family, consider an attorney who provides an easily understood explanation of adoption methods and helps you develop a legally secure plan.

Can We Remain In Contact With The Birth Parent(s) Following The Adoption?

Yes. You may remain in contact at your comfort level with a post-placement agreement. It is important to have an attorney to clarify the options for post-placement arrangements with birth parent(s) and draft or review an agreement that ensures best interests are served.

Do You Have To Live In Kansas In Order To Adopt A Child Born In Kansas?

No. The Interstate Compact for the Placement of Children (ICPC) is a compact among all fifty states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands that creates uniform legal and administrative procedures for adoption that cross state lines. You need an attorney who understands the ICPC and can facilitate an interstate adoption.

Should We Seek The Services Of An Adoption Attorney Even If We Are Adopting Through An Agency?

Yes. The agency's attorney works for them, and may not be looking out for the best interests of your family. You should have your own attorney to review and negotiate contracts, ensuring your interests are served.

Is There A Possibility That The Adoption Might Fail After Investing Considerable Time And Money?

Yes. All adoptions involve some risks. You need an attorney who is prepared to walk away if a situation seems risky before large amounts of money and time are invested.


Other Services

Adopting a child can be a long and complicated process. We are dedicated to giving you all the information that you will been from the start to the finish of your adoption journey.

Contested Adoptions & Paternity

Adoption is considered "happy law" because the attorney is in a position to make a number of people happy. On occasion, however, things go wrong along the way in an adoption story and the parties find themselves before a judge.

When Birth Parents Change Their Minds A biological mother or father may contest the adoption on the basis of one of the following factors:

  • The biological father may claim that he was never informed of the birth of the child and never had the opportunity to terminate or retain parental rights.

  • The biological mother or father may contest the jurisdiction of the court.

  • She or he may contest the validity of the consent document on technical grounds.

  • She or he may contend that consent to terminate parental rights was obtained under fraud or duress.

  • A biological parent may seek to derail an adoption in process in order to pursue placement of the child with another potential adoptive parent of his or her choosing.

I am well versed and experienced in adoption disputes and will represent clients in cases of adoption complications when birth parents reappear or seek to stop the finalization of an adoption at the last minute.

Representing Any Party In A Contested Adoption

No matter what type of contested adoption you are involved in, I can help. You may be a biological father opposing the proposed step-parent adoption of your child, a would-be adoptive mother or father, or a grandparent seeking guardianship or to assert rights to custody or visitation. I can also help if you are a foster parent seeking to formalize an already established parent-child relationship through adoption or if you are in need of counsel regarding paternity issues.


Caregivers can assume legal guardianship of a child in out-of-home care without termination of parental rights, as is required for an adoption. Legal guardianship is more durable but more complex than transfer of custody to caregivers. Guardianship is most frequently used when relative caregivers wish to provide a permanent home for the child and maintain relationships with extended family members but there is not a termination of parental rights.

A guardian makes legal decisions on behalf of the ward including accessing and monitoring supports and services for physical, psychological and emotional care. The guardian provides informed consents and maintains communication with service providers including case managers, facility staff and medical providers. A guardian advocates for and protects the personal, civil and human rights of a ward.

Permanency Litigation

Representing parties when a child has become a ward of the state can be challenging. The system many times seems to not work in your favor. It is important to know your rights and have someone who is familiar with the system to help navigate. We have worked with parents, grand parents and foster parents help a child that they love reach permanency. Part of the practice includes Lisa serving as a Guardian ad Litem in Shawnee County Kansas. This requires helping the court decide what is in a child's best interest who has been taken into the custody of the State and determined to be a Child in Need of Care (CINC). While the ultimate goal for any child in foster care is to reunify with their parents and return home, this is not always possible.



We understand that this is a stressful time, but one thing you do not have to worry about is us sharing your information with anyone. We respect your privacy.

How can we help you?
Best way to reach me.
DO NOT send confidential information using this form. Please summarize your inquiry below. Include any questions you may have. By completing this form you understand use of this form does not create an attorney client relationship.

Your information is protected by our privacy policy.

adoption dictionary.jpg